For those who are aging and/or developing Alzheimer’s or dementia, moving about their home can be tough. Here are some Elder Home Safety tips to consider.
– fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- the temperature of the water heater
- emergency call numbers
– extra medications
– machinery keys
Easy Home Changes
– remove or move extra furniture
– remove clutter
– put non-skid mats under area rugs
– tack up exposed cords
– add a shower chair
– install a gate for stairs
Larger Home Changes
– install railings
– carpet on stairs or mark the edges
– pad sharp corners of furniture
– install removable shower head
According to the National Institute of Health, if a family member is developing Alzheimers or dementia, there will be more modifications needed for their sensitive senses. For example:
– taking down busy curtains or artwork
– make sure tv volume is loud enough
– put away things like toothpaste, lotion, shaving cream, etc.
– utilize signs (Stop!, Very Hot, Bathroom, etc.)
– paint the walls brighter colors to contrast the floors
– remove knives, scissors, razors, etc.
If you or a family member can no longer stay in their home, Welcov offers award winning long-term memory care. If you have questions, feel free to contact us.